Friday, September 5, 2008

Which would you rather?

A Brown recluse?



or a Black widow?





How about both?


AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!


So they say everything's bigger in Texas... and more poisonous, and more plentiful, and more scary and IN MY VERY OWN HOUSE!!!


We had Pest Control come today. Now granted, being the frugal person that I am, I have opted for the past 2 years to do my own version of pest maintenance. I have a nice supply of Raid (even "floral scent!), some fire ant poison, and a dustbuster. And that's pretty much taken care of the problem. Until NOW.

Lately I've been seeing lots of spider webs. The other day as I was sweeping the front porch, I couldn't even COUNT the spiders as they scurried up the walls as I swept away their webs. So, I decided it was time to take matters OUT of my own hands and into the hands of the trusted professionals. So they come today and within 3 minutes the guy says: "Ma'am!" (gotta love TX!) "We've got a problem here. I've been an exterminator for 20 years and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've found a brown recluse inside a home. See all those dead ants? The only insect that can kill ants are brown recluses. You've got three in this corner alone." WHAT?!?!? And I was just thinking, "why do these ants keep crawling to this corner and dying?" (as I vacuum them up on a weekly basis.) So... next time you find a pile of ants and you know you haven't sprayed your floral scent raid, look for a nice brown recluse. They're smaller than you think- in fact, all 3 are curled in a ball and dead in the first pic, but that's them!


Now, onto the widow. She was outside tonight when Hannah went to get the mail. I guess the guy sprayed up into the eaves and she must have come down to her web to die. She's HUGE... ay, yai yai. DO YOU KNOW THAT BOTH OF THESE SPIDERS ARE POISONOUS AND THEIR BITE CAN BE FATAL? SERIOUSLY NOW. I guess I should be counting my blessings that we're all alive and well-- and that I finally hired a REAL pest control company! EWWWW!


p.s. I bet you $100 that I have spider nightmares tonight! I am already feeling like I've got spiders all over me all day. AHHHHHHH!

7 comments:

Emily said...

So is this how McKenna got a huge spider bite on her leg? J/K Bret would have to move us to a hotel for a couple nights until I was able to get over this. If this were my house, I don't think I'd be having spider nightmares because I don't think I'd be able to sleep! The pictures alone are going to give me nightmares!

mcwally said...

I HATE SPIDERS! and I don't even have the poisonous kind (I think). I'll stop complaining about the crickets that raided our garage and backyard...
Thank you for all of the ticket content!!! However, I don't think my kids will want to thank you:)

Angela Jamison said...

I feel like I have a spider crawling on me right now!!! I hate spiders. I seriously just got the chills.....Everything in Texas is truly Bigger

Beck said...

Nice, Jules! Hit me where it hurts... spiders! Hate them and now I won't be able to come visit you :( (just kidding, we just need to give it time :)

I couldn't sleep very well after this and was looking for "dead ant piles" all over just in case. Keep us posted????

Sarah said...

We just found a black widow in our backyard the other day and I was freaking out about that. I don't think we have brown recluses here, but I'm not sure. Thank goodness for pest control!

Jenny said...

What the heck! I am freaking out now cuz I am too cheap for pest control too! WOW..I didn't know brown recluse spiders were that common here..yikes!

Lisa said...

That's awful. Good thing Rick owns a pest control company. I can't think of one time I've seen bugs or spiders in my house since I've been married. I'm proud of you for calling the professionals. I also now have my radars up for great pictures and that last one of the black widow with the red hourglass is amazing. Rick would love it too. Glad you're all safe.