Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mom says "yes!"

Just some random thoughts from the past few days and conversations w/ the kids:

So my 2 1/2 year old is telling me what to do... all the time. When he does something he knows he's not supposed to do, or that I have previously told him NOT to do, he just looks at me and says, "Mom says yes." Really mom- do you say yes? Maybe Barrett will listen to you since he's not listening to me! "Nana says NO!"

Brock has some requirements he's working on for scouting and one of them was to tell someone why America is special to you. He didn't really get the question, so I asked, "what do you have in the United States that others don't have? Why are you lucky to live here?" To which he responded- "Do people in China have internet?" Not the direction I was thinking.

Hannah came home from school yesterday wanting a playdate. We had a busy afternoon and it just wasn't happening. So, being the only girl in a family full of boys, she started in on the drama: "Nobody likes me, why won't anyone listen to me? I want to play with a friend! Are you listening to me mom? You are SOOOO mean! PLEEEEEAAASSSEEE let me call a friend! If you don't then you don't like me! MOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!" waa waa waa. She was promptly given a hug and sent to her room until she could stop crying. Fast forward an hour later- (still begging for a playdate!) I am getting Bauer changed and dressed to take the boys to scouts. I say, "What do you think about going to the park by the church to play while the boys are at scouts?" "Oh mom- you are the best mom EVER!! You know I didn't mean any of that stuff I said before, I'll always love you and think you're the best mom in the world! Thank you!" It's amazing what an hour and an offer for the park changes!!

More posts with pics coming soon... we had a fun weekend w/ Bill's parents for Brock's 9th birthday. I'll put those up shortly!

5 comments:

Beck said...

hahaha that's funny! when I was reading about Hannah's I immediately in my mind was thinking "see aren't you glad you don't have girls?" Thank you for reminding me and for also showing me you are a good mom. I would have said no and then made her cook dinner or clean something :)

Suzanne Plant said...

Isn't it amazing how dramatic little girls can be? Be so grateful you only have one drama princess to deal with!

Whitney said...

Ahh - the drama of it all! So glad you're blazing that trail so you can share all of your hard-earned secrets with ME! I'm going to start telling Mr. A that Barrett says "NO" too! :)

Emily said...

I love girls! If they're this emotional when they're six...fast forward 10 years. I don't even want to think about it!

Sarah Beverley Larkin said...

Love reading your posts...and am missing you...let's get together soon!