Tuesday, May 13, 2008

8:55 pm

That's what time we STARTED dinner last night. All 7 of us. Between football practice, science fair projects, nursing a baby and backyard play, it just didn't happen until then. Bill drove in the driveway from football with Brock to find a half naked Barrett and Hannah playing in the backyard at 8:20 pm... much to his surprise! Hunter and I had just finished his science project which we'd been working on since 3 pm. And you know what? I wasn't even upset. I re-heated the dinner I had attempted to have done before football and we all sat down and ate together--- at 5 minutes to 9. And I enjoyed it!

This talk given by Elder Ballard at April's General Conference for our church really spoke to me. It has changed how I view life. It was written just for me! :) Here's my favorite part:

First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.
Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).


And so we did... at 8:55 pm.

7 comments:

Beck said...

i'm so glad you REMINDED me of this talk, Jules! Isn't 8:55 when you're suppose to have dinner anyway??? Good for you, girl! We have 1/2 naked boys around here all the time... and that's the front yard, not the backyard! You're awesome girl and again, congrats on 5! You are truly magnificent!

Natalie said...

Julie! So fun to catch up with you on your blog! I can't believe you have five kids now!! I'm just getting started! How do you stay sane? What a cute family! Are you guys liking Texas? If you're ever in UT, call me! 801-571-2060. Love ya!
Natalie

Whitney said...

Gotta love the moment. Glad you're living in it! Anna Quindlen also wrote another great article recently about her kids growing up. I think it was in Newsweek...I'll have to track it down. I loved this talk, too, but still think one of my all-time faves is Elder Holland's "Because She is a Mother" talk from 1996, I believe!!

Emily said...

I need to remember that so much more! Thanks for that quote on the talk...makes me want to go back and read it! I bet the dinner you made was delicious too...knowing your talent in the kitchen!

Pacefamily said...

Hey long lost friend. Thanks for the reminder about those precious moments. Caulder is already 11 months old, and I feel like I just gave birth (well, my waistline anyway.) It all passes to quickly. I just need to remember the priorities more often. Live in the moment. I miss you.

Becky said...

i like that quote. i'll have to remember that one when i am a mom. glad to know you have changed you perspective on things. it is so important to not sweat the small stuff, but i do all the time i am afraid. good reminder!!

Sarah Beverley Larkin said...

I miss you...i miss you...I miss you! I hope you are doing well - and your family just gets more and more beautiful and wonderful each time I check in (and the times I don't, as well, I am sure).
Hugs and kisses to you all! Love you