After having 4 babies, I now know the meaning of that phrase! But that is the pain I actually crave when I am pregnant. I LOVE the first feelings of labor because I know what follows it- a darling newborn baby to cuddle! But pain without a reward? Come on now! So last week I threw out my back. Talk about pain. I was pretty much in bed for 3 days while everyone around me picked up the pieces and helped out- thanks girls! That was a pain, but it's feeling better now.
So, today, I went to the OB for my prenatal checkup. All went well- gained too much weight(in my opinion!), but that many trips to Taco Bell will do that to anyone! After my appointment was over, my doc asked me if I wanted to get my flu shot there at her office. Now, this is the mom who wants to be a nurse, who really doesn't have a fear of needles, hardly cringes w/ blood taking, and gives her daughter a shot everynight. I don't have issues w/ shots. So, I said, Sure, no problem- cuz I certainly don't want the flu! The nurse comes in a few minutes later to give me my shot and I CANNOT even tell you how DANG MUCH that shot hurt! Like a mother! Seriously!!! I've had flu shots before, they don't hurt. I held in the pain instead of bawling like a baby, and put on my happy face as Barrett is crawling up on the exam table to take a peek at mommy's arm. After the nurse left, I kinda held my arm and took a deep breath, put Barrett in the stroller and made my way for the door.
Just as I walked into the waiting room, the nurse calls my name and says, "Mrs. Sivley, can you please come back to the exam room?" Great! What now? I for sure thought there was something wrong w/ my urine specimen and I had a UTI or something like that. She comes in and VERY apologetically tells me that she gave me the WRONG SHOT!!! What? No wonder it hurt so bad! She actually gave me the HPV immunization to protect me from cervical cancer. Nice! She told me she was sorry and that they wouldn't charge me for the shot, which costs $120 normally (gee thanks!). She also told me it is not harmful to the baby or me to get it while pregnant, so no worries. Then, she holds up the REAL shot and asks me if I still want my flu shot. No problem! I've got one good arm left! That one hardly hurt at all and I was on my way in minutes... so that was my excitement for the day- 2 shots in this mama of 4 1/2, one which hurt like a baby, one which hurt like a mother!!! OWEEEEE!!
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
"OW!! That hurt like a mother!"
Posted by
Jules
at
3:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You big baby! J/K! My flu shot killed, but only for like 2 days after the fact. Hey, I may be going stag on Saturday night too, depending on Nick. Do you have a costume? I was thinking we could go as Poligamist wives (seeing as we are both preggers)and if Nick can make it, he can be our hubby. Let me know!
that scares me! The wrong shot? Good thing it turned out harmless, geeze, they can't be making those kind of mistakes! I am glad your OK.
What the heck!! Good thing that shot was harmless to you and the new babe! When is the due date? It really is great to read up on your blog and keep in touch so much better. So, sounds like Bill is gone a lot. Darren would love to catch up with him! Well, take care of that back and take it easy....if that's possible!
Post a Comment