Ok, seriously, we have totally supported our local ortho's office this year. With 5 kids and a VERY active husband, what else do I expect? We are always in some sort of doctor's office or another! Now, before y'all go and report me to CPS, let me explain:
Nov. 2007- Hannah gets "double bounced" on the tramp and gets landed on by one of her brothers (the one whose name starts with an H), but I won't say which one. She breaks her tibia, down close to the ankle and begins the string of bad luck. She's fitted with a BRIGHT PINK cast from toes to hip... Mom is 6 months pregnant and LOVING carrying Hannah to and from the potty to the wheelchair, into the car, out of the car, etc. Hannah gets cast off 6 weeks later and wears a walking boot for 4 weeks.
The very week that Hannah gets her cast off, Daddy decides it's his turn for some visits to our friendly orthopaedist. He'd been suffering from a torn meniscus for a few weeks and makes the decision to get his knee operated on. Dec. 16th he gets a full arthroscopic knee surgery with removal of a bunch of old football wounds to go with the meniscus. He healed pretty quickly and had some physical therapy and follow up appointments through Feb. 2008.
April arrives and it's been a whole month and a half since we've seen an x-ray machine. Gotta do it! Brock falls while playing "hopscotch" in the backyard. (That's what the babysitter said... hmmm! j/k- but he likes to say he got hurt playing football, not hopscotch.) Mom tells him to tough it out but the wrist starts to swell and voila, click click- a few pictures later, we've got a growth plate fracture and a nice blue cast on his left arm. Checkups through June.
We went all of July, Aug., Sept., and Oct. without another visit to the 4th floor of our doctor pavillion. Oops, sorry- correction. Brock got a deep thigh bruise in football in Oct. that we had to have checked out. X-rays again. No break, just the contusion.
So, last night the boys were fooling around and Brock squirts Hunter with the spray bottle. Hunter is quite surprised and trips and falls on his left hand. Can't move his thumb or pointer finger. He went to bed about 8:30 pm and was in our room a few hours later with a throbbing hand and some bruising and swelling. He slept on our couch (thank goodness for that couch!), and we made an appointment to keep our ortho's office in business for yet another month. The diagnosis: a broken thumb. Black cast for 3 weeks. Good thing basketball doesn't start for 3 weeks!
SO... what does all this cost, you might wonder? LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. Into the $$$thousands$$$ between surgeries and wheelchairs and physical therapies and meds. But the end result being healthy children and a healthy husband with great stories to tell: Priceless. I should have been an orthopaedist. *and no, I didn't spell that wrong... it's really spelled that way. Looks weird, I know, but it says it on the business card. I checked.*




6 comments:
Dude your poor family. I mean really Julie what are you doing to them? hahaha. Hey it just goes with the saying, when it rains it poors. It's okay we will be out there soon... and NO Brock mom will not make you my favorite casserole. Nice try buddy:)
I can't believe your luck. That's crazy! How many people are there left in the family that still haven't broken anything? I'd keep a close watch on them. Just kidding! Should I be nervous to come there next week? Haha!
So is this what I am in for with boys? I'm a little scared. So far we've only had a split open head that Jon glued back together! I hope Hunter heals quickly!
unbelievable! hunter was feeling a little left out, i guess, that he hadn't met the ortho yet...
Oh man, I'm so sorry. But it's a great chain of events in order to "one up" someone.
Hi Julie! I'm stalking you now! My friend Emily has three boys and honestly she should just learn how to do stitches and set bones. Her boys are 6, 4, and 2 and she has much experience already. I think Hannah just wants in on the action!
Have a GREAT thanksgiving with the fam!
Post a Comment