This weekend has been one of my favorite weekends of the year. It's our church's semi-annual General Conference. We get the rare opportunity to hear the voice of our prophet, apostles, and general authorities of our church speak to us. Many times their messages seem so personal to our situations. It is always an uplifting weekend. I love our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson.

The Mormon Tabernacle choir sang many beautiful songs-- but the best was "Oh Divine Redeemer..." it was amazing and a favorite of many.

This is Barrett's drawing (head drawn to scale, I might add) of him watching conference. I thought it was so cute.
A few quotes heard while watching conference today:
While Henry B. Eyring was speaking and reciting some of the commandments, one word caught Barrett's ear: "Kill? Did he just say kill? We can't kill?" No - Barrett, we can't steal or lie either. "WHAT?!"
President Monson quoted New Testament Matthew and I quized the kids afterwards-- "I was hungered and ye gave me-- Food? Nourishment? Bill (from the other room) Drink?" How about meat?
I was thirsty and ye gave me... "WINE?" Nice one Brock. "Well, they didn't really drink water back then did they?"
Brock- "mom you forgot Naked and ye clothed me!"
Hunter- "of course you would love that one Brock."
I was in prison-- Hunter- "When was President Monson in Prison?!"
Barrett- every time he heard Jesus Christ, he said, "Amen."
Hannah- matching the apostles names w/ pictures... "Mom, who is COTA L. COOK?" That's Quentin. Hmmm... baby Quentin? A rare name for sure.
Barrett- every time he heard Jesus Christ, he said, "Amen."
Hannah- matching the apostles names w/ pictures... "Mom, who is COTA L. COOK?" That's Quentin. Hmmm... baby Quentin? A rare name for sure.
While the organist was playing the prelude to "Oh Divine Redeemer" (President Monson & my dad's favorite... btw), Barrett said, "Sounds like Star Wars Mom." I have to admit, it does have some cool instrumental.
Every conference, I print out activity packets (that some other creative soul has compiled) for the kids. It keeps them pretty occupied and paying attention.
It is usually a food fest as well- we had a nice big breakfast (sorry, no pics), and a delicious homemade beef stew and wheat bread dinner. It was YUMMY!
But we are edified. We are filled with the Spirit and so thankful for the words we have heard today. My favorite talk was by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland... it was an inspiring, chill-producing, amazing testimony of the Book of Mormon. I'll link it when the text comes out. Until April (when it will likely be even more crazy with 6 kids making noise), we will live by the words spoken today.



5 comments:
Too fun! I actually miss conference with little ones. I LOVE LOVE LOVE conference bingo and all the activity packets. Thanks for sharing the cute dialogue that was exchanged at your house.
This was such an uplifting, inspiring, and motivating two days. I'm sad that it's over and can't wait to read it all in print.
I'm so with you!!!! I loved today! As I'm blogging I'm looking back at the kitchen realizing there is still more to clean up. Ugh!!!
Thank you so much for making Conference weekend special for our grandchildren...{"payin' it forward")! That's a legacy to pass on for sure!!
LOVE YOU ALL!!!
Amen to all you said. Wonderful day but I had to keep reminding myself I could listen to the talks again without little voices asking for help on their conference packets. I had to keep reminding myself that we are teaching them to watch it right?
I recall your dad's beautiful voice singing that song in Mint Canyon Ward years ago.
Post a Comment